Please consider a donation to the Community Foundation Grey Bruce in our endowment Fund.
In 2010, the Community Foundation Grey Bruce, together with the Bruce Peninsula Bird Observatory (BPBO), were able to establish an Endowed Fund to support BPBO programs and projects over the coming years.
The Bruce Peninsula Bird Observatory, established in 2000, is a volunteer run, charitable non-profit, science-oriented organization. Its core activities centre on the monitoring of migrating birds passing through the Bruce Peninsula, heading north in the spring and south in the fall. Monitoring activities are carried out at the Cabot Head Research Station, which BPBO developed and operates as part of the Canadian Migration Monitoring Network. Data gathered through monitoring activities goes to the Canadian Wildlife Service and to scientists, researchers, and resource management planners. While the BPBO continues to raise all of its own operating and capital funds (for which it receives no grants or other monies) on a year-to-year basis, it values the Endowed Fund as a positive step towards ensuring the organization’s long-term financial viability.
What is the Community Foundation Grey Bruce?
Why donate through an endowment fund?
- A gift to the BPBO endowed fund is held in perpetuity, while only the fund’s earnings are annually directed to support BPBO programs and projects.
- Your help is needed to grow this fund to over $100,000, so the Cabot Head Research Station remains viable and continues to do its important work.
Did you know?
- That stocks, bonds real estate and insurance proceeds can be bequested to the endowed fund, and a charitable remainder trust can be established.
- While alive, stocks, bonds, real estate, and the cash surrender value of an insurance policy can also be donated.
- Most importantly, capital gains are waived for people contributing stocks, bonds and real estate to a charity.
How do I make a donation to the Community foundation?
- To make an online Endowed Fund contribution to BPBO, please go directly to the website: www.canadahelps.org
- Scroll down to: “Donate to this charity now.” Within this section you will need to “select to apply your donation to a specific fund set up by this charity,” (drop down menu) in this case the Bruce Peninsula Bird Observatory Fund.
- Made out to the Community Foundation Grey Bruce, put “Bruce Peninsula Bird Observatory Fund” in the memo line
- Mail to: PO Box 81, Owen Sound, N4K 2K9.
- visit the CFGB directly at 943 – 3rd Ave, East, Owen Sound, N4K 2K9 (Carney’s Lane), with a cheque made out to CFGB, and BPBO Fund in the memo portion
- or contact Aly Boltman at the Community Foundation Grey Bruce, (519) 371-7203, or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How (what) can I donate?
- By Making a cash donation for which you will receive an immediate tax receipt;
- By Donating Appreciated Securities for which you will receive an immediate tax receipt for the market value of these securities without having to pay capital gains tax;
- By Making a Bequest in your will which in some cases will qualify for a substantial reduction in federal gift and estate taxes, and;
- By Designating proceeds from your life insurance to the BPBO endowed fund that will reduce estate taxes. Alternately you can immediately transfer the policy to the foundation’s name and receive an immediate tax receipt for the cash surrender value.