Bruce Peninsula Bird Observatory is seeking a…
Site Manager -Cabot Head Research Station
What happens at the station? Check out this video :
This is a contract position requiring on site visits to Cabot Head, during the summer months. The majority of the work occuring from mid-April to the end of October.
The Site Manager will…
- Support the work of BPBO, by providing timely maintenance and building protection services at the Cabot Head Nature Reserve including the: Cabot Head Research Station, Grebe Lodge and Wingfield Cottage.
2. Communicate regularly with the Board of Directors by submitting regular updates, occupancy rates and site reports during the stewardship season. (June to October)
3. Uphold positive public relations with staff, volunteers and stewards who are using the site.
4. Undertake timely building and site maintenance activities including but not limited to:
- Assisting Ontario Parks personnel to open and close the Nature Reserve site before and after migration monitoring
- Interact regularly and by email with on-site stewards who occupy Grebe and/or Wingfield cottages during the summer months, especially on Saturdays when stewards change over
- Ensure that Grebe and Wingfield cottages are cleaned and kept in good working order during the stewardship season and then winterized appropriately
- Consider, plan and provide quotes for medium-sized and large capital repairs that will require the support and approval of the Board chairperson or designate
- Ensure that propane tanks are filled/exchanged, that firewood is ordered and delivered, and that the septic pumping is arranged for, seasonally and as needed
- Act as the contact person for the Stewardship Program, keep an accurate on-line calendar of steward’s bookings, track a waiting list of potential stewards, and actively seek individuals and organizations that might be appropriate to visit the site
- Collect and direct stewardship fees owed to BPBO, including deposits, prepare an expense claim for all BPBO supplies and maintenance purchases, keep and provide copies of all receipts, and communicate regularly with the Board Treasurer on financial matters
- Liaise with the Board to facilitate the arrival, departure and orientation of the migration monitoring volunteers
- Work collaboratively with the Station Scientist to support the smooth operation of the facilities and staff accommodation during migration monitoring station
Please note that mentoring and training for this position will be provided. Vehicle and tool box are essential.